What is TPD?
We understand there is still some confusion about the EU Tobacco Products directive (TPD) which came into law across the EU on May 2016. The UK implementation is known as the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016 (TRPR). It contains various restrictions and regulatory burden all of which will affect our customers to varying degrees. We’re currently in the transition period, and we can sell existing stock without restriction. This period ends on 19th May 2017, after which all products sold must meet the new requirements of the TRPR. Liquids without nicotine are exempt from these requirements.
|Bottle size will be 10ml maximum and maximum nicotine strength of 20mg (2%).
As well as restrictions on bottle size and nicotine strength liquids are also subjects to the following:
- E-liquids must be free from diacetyl and acetyl propionyl with certification from an accredited laboratory.
- Toxicological risk assessment of all ingredients by a qualified toxicologist.
- Characterisation of emissions from e-liquid by an approved method.
- Full traceability of ingredients to source.
- Use of pharmaceutical grade PG, VG, nicotine and food grade flavourings only.
- E-liquids must not include any chemical classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic, reproductive toxicant, respiratory sensitiser or specific targeted organ toxicant (STOT).
- Packaging and labelling have to be compliant with the Classification of Labelling and Packaging rules and include a specific warning as given in the TPD.
- Certified nicotine concentration for each batch to within +10% of stated concentration.
Another effect on all retailers is that the number of flavours available across the industry will likely reduce and the rate of new hardware innovation will slow down.
Due to the impending regulations, non-compliant products are beginning to sell out, and will not be replenished.
We advise you to ensure you have stocks of your favourite products on hand well before May and transition to compliant products as soon as they become available.